[kwlug-disc] cell phone security and privacy

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Wed Jul 27 16:35:39 EDT 2022

> Mikalai: Keeping your phone on your person at all times, as a security measure, doesn't work when you are crossing a border. One of the things that can happen (if you are randomly selected for extra security screening) is that the border guard asks for your phone, goes into a back room, does something, then comes back and returns your phone. You'll be asked to unlock your phone. In Canada, refusal to unlock is a minimum $1000 fine, maximum $25,000, and up to a year in jail.

Passing border must happen empty-handed, or, if your device was touched,
you become empty-handed. On the other side, you should resurrect a
system on some fresh clean device. Current option is chromebook with all
cloud apps and android with google services. None are private.

3NWeb is tailored for this scenario of resurrecting your system on new
device. In a private and secure way. Stay tuned :)

At some point on a defending side we should start question assumptions.
Your data and apps with settings may be more valuable than a device. If
we engineer around possibility of ditching a device, we gain room for
maneuver.