[kwlug-disc] cell phone security and privacy

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Jul 27 16:33:17 EDT 2022

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 10:42:08AM -0400, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc wrote:
> > I will admit, though, that when I come across one of those old
> > read-only http websites, it feels oddly satisfying, and behaves
> > surprisingly snappy, that I start getting nostalgic... :-)
>
> Let's not confuse the satisfying html sites (
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woKUEIJkwxI ), and delivery wrap of s in
> https.

Oh, I'm not confused.  The simplicity appeals to me.

I've also been learning about the recent QUIC+HTTP/3 protocols that
were recently standardized.  QUIC is a replacement for TCP, and it
rides on top of UDP.  It is very cool, collapses 3 handshake steps
of TCP+SSL+HTTP into a single step, but it cannot be called simple.
(I guess TCP could not be called simple in its day either).

That said, I'm hoping QUIC becomes general use and supported in the
kernel and socket stack somday, so we can use it easily as a replacement
for TCP if we want.

- Chris