[kwlug-disc] Firefox resource usage

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Jan 31 23:25:51 EST 2022

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 10:17:32PM -0500, Ron Singh wrote:
> I have anywhere from 120-270 tabs in 4 sessions of FF(lowers head in
> shame).

Chuckle.  No shame.  I have over 1200 tabs that reopen across startups.
Most of the tabs are idle after a restart.  Memory isn't a problem most
of the time.  Resident memory ranges from 500M to 2.8G depending what
I have active.

When I leave the browser sitting on a simple-ish page, CPU usage is
pretty minor.  Normal text browsing is mostly fine too.  It is video of
various kinds that somehow has taken more CPU in 91.x compared to
the older 78.x.  I don't know why exactly.  I have an NVidia
in this thing, it shouldn't be that hard.  Mplayer does video easily.

I'm hoping it's a temporary state for Firefox, and hope they have been
working on performance in post-91.x versions.  If not, I guess my only
recourse is to compile it myself and bust out the profilers. :-)

Thanks for the tips everyone,
- Chris