[kwlug-disc] Open source laptop hardware

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Mon Jan 31 16:11:25 EST 2022

The Reform is almost entirely free of binary blobs. All Linux drivers are open source. The only blob is for the DDR controller. This blob is loaded into an auxiliary controller, not the CPU.

Librem had the same problem with the DDR blob for their laptop, so they burned it into read-only flash in order to get their RYF certification from the FSF. MNT isn't planning to do this. But modulo this rules-lawyering, the Reform is as RYF as the Librem.
Source: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24034502

By contrast, my understanding is that a SiFive SOC with a GPU would not be blob free. And the Raspberry Pi 4 has many blobs.
So that's why RISC-V boards and a Pi 4 in a laptop shell are not comparable to the Reform.

Doug.