[kwlug-disc] G Suite Free not free anymore

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Jan 31 11:31:54 EST 2022

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 09:59:59AM -0500, John Steel via kwlug-disc wrote:
>Looks like you can apply to keep it free if you have fewer than ten users and don't use it for business:
>
>"Upgrading to a Google Workspace subscription is a seamless transition for all customers currently on the G Suite legacy free edition. However, we understand some customers may not use their G Suite legacy free edition for business and may be interested in other options. If you have 10 or fewer users in your group and do not use your G Suite legacy free edition for business, please sign in to your administrator account to provide more information."
>
>https://support.google.com/a/answer/60217#nonbiz

I filled this out, but I'm still annoyed.

I uncharacteristically decided not to procrastinate, downloaded the
80GB+ of photos from my gapps/gsuite/workspace account, and spent
several evenings uploading it to my gmail account, and:

* fixing missing metadata
* recreating albums
* Removing duplicates (because edited photos are all duplicated now)
* Tracking down how "2019" went from 1561 photos to 1558...

And to top it off, I paid $40 for extra storage on the gmail account.

And *now* they reverse course.

Great.

--
Chris Irwin