[kwlug-disc] Open source laptop hardware

Jason Eckert jason.eckert at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 10:58:32 EST 2022

It's good that people are interested in building open hardware.
But the real barrier here is performance/price.
There are ARM CPUs with great performance, but they are super niche and
expensive.
The cheapest Altra MAX (32-core) is $800US for the CPU alone ($5,800US for
the 128-core), and there's no GPU in it.