[kwlug-disc] Trouble Reading 1 TB Hard Drive in USB SATA Dock

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 18:56:33 EST 2022

Doing a backup of 13.5 Gig of data(mostly small files) from my MS
Onedrive(locally sync'd on my SSD) onto a 5400RPM 512G USB3 2.5"
HDD(Hitachi), I am seeing Thunar sucking up 18%-26% of my i7-2640M CPU for
the duration. PC is running Mint 20.2 Xfce.

CPU Fan speed is up some during the copy, can hear the fan. My PC is
actually a 10yo ThinkpadX220 laptop and the backup HDD is only the sole
USB3 port of my X220.

Running a live OS off a USB3-connected drive on a regular basis will likely
show up a PC being a bit sluggish and loud, backing up via same, well, it's
only for a short time for a backup.

Thanks,

Ron S.