[kwlug-disc] USB tty driver 'stuck'

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Jan 2 21:36:14 EST 2022

So here is the situation.
I have a few serial devices and they behave well.
Each gets the device /dev/ttyUSB0 device when plugged.
They use the cp210x driver.

No issues for years.

Until today.
Somehow a wrong a sequence, maybe unplugging while a program is still
accessing the device,
made every device that gets plugged in get /dev/ttyUSB1 instead of 0.

No matter what I do, it stays 1. I tried the following:

sudo udevadm control --reload
sudo service udev restart
sudo rmmod cp210x
rmmod: ERROR: Module cp210x is in use
But nothing is plugged in.

Trying to force it does not work either:

sudo rmmod -f cp210x
rmmod: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:799 kmod_module_remove_module()
could not remove 'cp210x': Resource temporarily unavailable
rmmod: ERROR: could not remove module cp210x: Resource temporarily
unavailable

I know a reboot will fix it, but I don't want to keep rebooting if this
happens again.

Any other ideas?

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin