[kwlug-disc] Disk longevity ...

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Feb 16 01:08:36 EST 2022

On current OSes the LVM stuff seems to be installed as part of the base
operating system; I can see LVs with lsblk and I can just mount the LVs
as either /dev/mapper/volumegroup-lvname or /dev/volumegroup/lvname  For
some reason I almost always use the /dev/mapper/volumegroup-lvname syntax...

On older versions of Debian or Ubuntu (2012?) it might be necessary to
install the lvm2 package. But I've found that the package installation
makes sure all the needed OS components are in place, and then the LVs
are available with the above syntax. There' no extra effort for the
SysAdmin.

Older GRUB couldn't boot directly from LVs, but for the last five years
or so GRUB recognizes LVM, so I no longer create a separate /boot
partition outside the LVs. The only time I create a separate /boot
partition now is for encrypted drives.

--Bob.