[kwlug-disc] Disk longevity ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Feb 13 13:07:26 EST 2022

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 12:59 PM Ron Singh <ronsingh149 at gmail.com> wrote:

> That is the exact HDD we use in a Raid50 array in our workplace server,
> running since 2011 on an Asus ATX P6X58D-E. Zero failures since and likely
> only rebooted twice a year as my IT guy is plenty conservative about
> applying OS patches(MS SVR2012). Damn good drives.

I guess the saying : "they don't make them like they used to" is very true
in this case.

And yeah Khalid, I should be less nervous about doing a dist-upgrade,
> especially on the server edition of Ubuntu:-)
> My travel laptop is still on Lubuntu 16.04, I will do the upgrade to 18.04
> and then onto 20.04 and see how that goes. It might be a challenge as the
> GUI changes from LXDE to LXqT, but worth a shot since it's an easily
> re-buildable OS profile(small amount of /home contents).

Do it in two stages, with a few days in between.
First to 18.04, then a few days after, go for 20.04.

The reason I say this is that I had to do a couple of test servers that
way, and certain things did not work, due to changes in parameters (e.g.
MySQL obsoleted a few things, and it would not start unless I deleted the
obsolete ones).
Another thing was cleanup of some package removed a crucial component (SSL
certificate, but my memory is vague here).
None of this happened when I did only one upgrade at a time, and let it
'settle' which is the normal workflow for upgrades that I follow.