[kwlug-disc] Yubi key

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 7 12:22:01 EST 2022

I have slightly different experiences than Chris.

I do have  OTP (maybe HOTP?) configured on my Yubikey 5 key. I
configured this using Yubikey Manager. I could run this via AppImage,
but could not get the PPA to work (on Xubuntu 18.04). There is a
program called "yubikey-personalization-gui" which does install via
PPA, but I found this much more confusing to use.

You definitely want to configure both keys and keep them in different
places. I actively use both of mine, but having one in a safe place
would probably be better (so long as I was conscientious about keeping
them both updated).

I disabled NFC on my key so I do not know how well it works.

I believe you have to be very conscientious about recording the secret
key you generate for OTP someplace, because I do not know that it can
be recovered. I cannot even tell what protocol I have configured to
what slot.

- Paul

Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Housing: https://unionsd.coop