[kwlug-disc] Open Mobile device

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sun Feb 6 15:10:52 EST 2022

Yes, using an FPGA seems like the best way to create fully open and auditable SOC hardware.

My research indicate that there is no way to assemble an open hardware system board using current off-the-shelf hardware, at least not if you want a 21st century ISA like ARM or RISC-V, because at least some of your components will be closed hardware with binary blob firmware. Maybe you could create an open hardware system based on the 6502?

The Libre-SOC project aims to fix this problem, with a fully open and high performance SOC, including GPU. It's the only such project I'm aware of (anybody know different?) It's going to be a while before you'll be able to buy hardware based on their design. They are still in the design phase AFAIK. https://libre-soc.org/

Doug.