[kwlug-disc] Open Mobile device

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sun Feb 6 10:40:09 EST 2022

What an interesting project. I got nerd sniped into reading project updates.

There's a custom operating system, Xous, which is co-designed with the hardware, and written in Rust. It's thousands of times less resource intensive than Linux, which is appropriate for this hardware.

"In a nutshell, Xous is a message-passing microkernel built on a virtual memory model. The kernel is very small—it runs out of a single 4 kiB page of RAM—and the binary shrinks to 23 kiB when debug print statements are turned off. It’s expressly designed to be auditable by individual humans. The kernel handles the allocation of virtual memory to processes, the routing of messages between processes, and the simple round-robin scheduling of time between all the processes and threads. Fast message passing is done by combining Rust-like semantics to borrow, mutably borrow, or move pages of memory between processes. The nature of a borrow, mutable-borrow, or send operation is enforced using the read-only, read-write, or remapping of virtual memory pages between processes. Thus, fairly large data structures can be pushed between processes without physically moving or copying anything; it’s all done by manipulating the page tables, with semantics enforced by the hardware page table mechanism.