[kwlug-disc] 2FA Google Authentication and Best Practices with passwords

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 08:36:27 EST 2022

I use the Google Authenticator for both gmail and my own NAS box, which
thankfully had a 2FA tie-in to GA.  But, yeah, it's tied to my work phone.
However if I can get to my Google account settings (which theoretically
shouldn't be too hard) I can switch the GA over to my personal phone if
necessary.  In fact, the GA used to be on my personal phone but I don't use
that anymore (it sits in the dock and forwards any calls to my work phone),
so I set up GA on the work phone.  As far as 2FA apps go, GA is 'ok' to
use.  I've seen worse over the years.

As to passwords, I use BitWarden inside my Chrome browser (as an add-in).
I really like BitWarden, having been frustrated by numerous other password
managers over the years.

My wife knows how to use BitWarden on my desktop, so should anything happen
to me, she can get on to all of my online accounts and do whatever.  As a
backup, I printed off my system access passwords and stuck it in the house
safe.  So if something should happen to me and my desktop gets powered off
and needs login creds, she's covered.

And finally, I have a little desktop sign that says "I'm only here for the
Wi-Fi" that sits on my bookshelf.  On the bottom of it I stuck a label with
the wi-fi passwords.  So if anything should happen to me the multitude of
mourners who come to the wake can still use the wi-fi....

Work, on the other hand, is on their own if they lose me.  Good luck to
them.