[kwlug-disc] Visual Studio Code Virtual Machine HOW-TO

Sean D thornlord at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 20:48:16 EST 2022

Hi KWLUG friends,

Thanks for letting me present my VS-Code-Server Virtual Machine at the
previous meeting. Here are my setup instructions

I have been using Oracle VirtualBox

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Running a RedHat Fedora Server 37 VM

https://getfedora.org/en/server/download/

As my VS-Code-Server host.

https://github.com/coder/code-server

The Oracle VirualBox Virtual Machine is configured with:

   - 2 CPU
   - 4 GB RAM
   - Default Display settings
   - 50 GB Storage
   - 1 NAT Network Adapter with port forwarding
      - Fedora Cockpit TCP Host port 29090 Guest port 9090
      - Visual Studio Code Server TCP Host port 28080 Guest port 8080
      - SSHD TCP Host port 2022 Guest port 22

Use the Fedora Server ISO downloaded previously to create the virtual
machine operating system.

For the Fedora install, I used the defaults but did set my timezone,
created a user, and set the root password.

Reboot the server.
Remove the ISO from the disc drive.

At this point, I used the Fedora Cockpit browser tool. I had added the port
forward earlier.
http://localhost:29090

In the terminal, update the operating system with these commands
sudo -i
dnf check-update
dnf -y upgrade
dnf install -y make gcc zlib-devel bzip2 bzip2-devel readline-devel sqlite
sqlite-devel openssl-devel tk-devel libffi-devel xz-devel
dnf group install "Development Tools" -y
The following install is optional
dnf group install "C Development Tools and Libraries" -y

Reboot the virtual machine
Launch the Fedora Cockpit and access the terminal.

   - test the install
   curl -fsSL https://code-server.dev/install.sh | sh -s -- --dry-run

   - run the Visual Studio Code Server install script
   curl -fsSL https://code-server.dev/install.sh | sh

   - start the Code Server service and enable it for startup
   sudo systemctl --enable --now code-server@$USER

   - verify if the code server is running
   sudo systemctl status code-server@$USER

   - move to the Code Server's configuration directory
   cd ~/.config/code-server/

   - make a backup of the YAML configuration file
   cp -v ~/.config/code-server/config.yaml
   ~/.config/code-server/config.yaml.orig

   - open the YAML config file in vim
   vim ~/.config/code-server/config.yaml

   - update the address
   0.0.0.0:8080

   - change the password to your own value. Other authentication options
   are available and explained on the GitHub project page

   - stop and start the services
   sudo systemctl status code-server@$USER
   sudo systemctl stop code-server@$USER
   sudo systemctl start code-server@$USER
   sudo systemctl status code-server@$USER

   - launch a new browser to open the Code Server interface
   http://localhost:28080

>From this point you're best served looking up Visual Studio Code getting
started instructions.

Good hunting in your own server build and please let me know if this works
for you.

Sean D

--
110.  Labour to keep alive in your breast that little celestial fire called
conscience.