[kwlug-disc] Cloud replacement for Google Sheets

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 23 13:51:36 EDT 2022

Is there a reasonable replacement for Google Sheets that is more
FLOSS-friendly? I just need data entry to CSV files, not any actual
spreadsheet functions.

Requirements:
- Can use a script to export the sheet as a CSV file
- Good editing experience for entering data
- Access control (preferably without people needing to make brand new
  accounts, but this is negotiable)
- Ideally no cost for a small instance. This would be editing a
  handful of CSVs by maybe a dozen people.

I have heard NextCloud can do this. Is a hosted NextCloud instance
stable enough to stay up for a few months? Does anybody have a
NextCloud instance that I can experiment with? (The bigger ask is
whether anybody has an instance that a dozen people could use for a
few months, but that is a bigger ask and a separate issue.)

It looks like LibreOffice Online exists (and that is what NextCloud
uses) but it does not work standalone without a file system? Are there
alternative packages that make use of this?

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Housing: https://unionsd.coop