[kwlug-disc] ssh takes 5 minutes to connect [SOLVED]

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Thu Aug 4 14:05:31 EDT 2022

Ronald Barnes wrote on 2022-07-24 02:34:

> Using scp to copy a 1kb file takes over 5 minutes on a 100Mbps link.
>
> Used to work just fine, but ... I broke something?

Solved the ssh login taking 5 minutes, thanks to a power outage.

When logging back in - no motd.

When investigating that, found that update-motd wasn't completing.

When investigating why, found
/etc/update-motd.d/99-livepatch-kernel-upgrade runs /snap/bin/canonical...

And, I had snapd.service masked.  Took 5 minutes to time-out.

systemctl umask snapd.service
systemctl enable --now snapd.service

with "UsePAM yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

and login takes seconds again.

Weird, I don't remember masking snapd; it was probably quite a while ago.

rb