[kwlug-disc] sadness in Ubuntu land

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 20:05:57 EDT 2022

So, fresh from my recent encounter with DuckDuckGo, I hobbled along and
decided to try testing out the newest version of Ubuntu in a VM.

Everything went well until I decided to remove the Snap version of Firefox
that comes standard now, and replace it with the regular apt-installed
version, as recommended in one of the many online "things to do after
installing Ubuntu 22.04" articles.  And as recommended here in this group
as I know many of you don't like Snaps. And also recommended by the fact
that the snap version of Firefox doesn't get along with GNOME extensions,
which I use extensively.

So did the following:

sudo snap remove --purge firefox
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/ppa
sudo apt install -t 'o=LP-PPA-mozillateam' firefox

This worked well, until I tried to run updates.  Apt updates forcibly (as
in, you can't stop it once it starts) removes the apt version of Firefox
and replaces it with the original Snap version.  The popup TUI basically
said that from now on I must use the Snap version.  You can imagine the new
words I invented when I saw that message come up...

So.... what to do?   I've been an Ubuntu fan for many years, but this
latest move by Canonical really bakes my cookies.  Should I move over to
Fedora or some other distro that doesn't force their views on us?