[kwlug-disc] security update frequency

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Apr 8 11:05:09 EDT 2022

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 9:49 PM Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:

> Anyone else notice the frequency of security updates on chromium
> is pretty high lately?  If I had to estimate over the past few months,
> I'd say poor Debian has had to release double the number of chromium
> updates to firefox.
>
> I mean, I'm glad they are finding them.  I wonder how.  It's a little
> disturbing that there are so many.  It has made me into an even bigger
> fan of things like apparmor, although I've only got it working on
> firefox so far, due to time.

I am on Ubuntu 20.04 (XFCE), and I have not noticed that Chromium has
frequent updates.

Maybe it is because I decided to uninstall snapd altogether (which is the
new way of installing Chromium on 20.04), and went to use Saikrishna
Arcot's beta PPA instead.

https://launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+archive/ubuntu/chromium-beta

Perhaps Debian backports fixes rather than issuing new releases, and
that causes many fixes?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.