[kwlug-disc] Ontarians are getting digital ID this fall: All you need to know

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Wed Sep 22 22:11:22 EDT 2021

>> https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/ontarians-are-getting-digital-id-this-fall-all-you-need-to-know/458633

I'll draw your attention in this article to mentioning of OpenID
identity provider, v2. Looking at
https://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-self-issued-v2-1_0.html section
12.2.1 is called "Selective disclosure and un-linkable presentations":

"""

Usage of decentralized identifiers does not automatically prevent
possible RP correlation. If a status check of the presentation is done,
IdP / SIOP correlation can occur.

Consider supporting selective disclosure and un-linkable presentations
using zero-knowledge proofs or single-use credentials instead of
traditional correlatable signatures.

"""

Basta! Already smells like tracking everything with digital id.

Every time you open https site, you are a relying party. Did you have to
register with an identity provider to check cert for domain name? No,
you didn't. We are relying on root certificates.

Clerk is not calling government issuing office every time she checks my
driver's id now. In fact, she isn't registered as a relying party. My
use of id with her stays between us.