[kwlug-disc] I've discovered lens tool for kubernetes -> idea for Q&A event(s)

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Wed Sep 15 09:57:52 EDT 2021

I've discovered lens tool for kubernetes ( https://k8slens.dev/ ).

lens seems to be a gui representation of what cli tool (kubectl) does.
This relationship reminds me pgAdmin and postgres. In both cases there
is deeper stuff, which you eventually do via text/script artifacts, yet
browsing tool may let you ask right questions, and/or give a warm fuzzy
feeling of having a grip on things.

There is this minikube tool that essentially brings up cluster, locally.
It used virtualbox in my case, detected and created, all by itself.
lens, a local electron-based gui program, detected presence of minikube
cluster. We connect to cluster, and start to walk around, look around,
ask questions. Which leads to an idea for Q&A session.

What do you think about the following format: I or someone is doing
screen share, going over lens, doing changes to cluster, showing things
and potentially asking questions that someone from us may answer.
Essentially, we need a commitment of folks with more k8s experience to
be around to take part. Who is willing to answer novices' questions?

We may potentially have a few of these events, as there can be many
nuances to discuss.

We may do an exercise of putting kwlug stuff into kubernetes cluster.

In my Docker Swarm talk a said that we should demand a complete stack
(docker compose) file, and just containers is no longer enough. Browsing
lens, there is "Apps" section with helm charts that essentially give
that promise of a simple to use, yet configurable package. For example,
here is a chart for wordpress. Is kwlug.org in wordpress? We may
disassemble some chart: what is it, how is it created, etc.

What do you think?