[kwlug-disc] Linux arm64 compilation in vm on m1 silicon?

Erik Schnetter schnetter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 15:48:52 EDT 2021

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 1:19 PM Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc
<kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> Recently I've heard some excited impressions about m1 performance,
> especially, when running vm.
>
> So, I have a practical question, is it possible to run arm64 vm (which
> and how?) on osx. Gitlab runner on osx should be making tests and builds
> for osx, while linux vm can do this for arm64 linux (think pine64).

Docker on macOS supports by default running images with different CPU
architectures. (This isn't quite a VM, but similar enough that I
thought I'd mention this here.)

Run `docker run arm64v8/hello-world:linux` to see this in action. See
<https://hub.docker.com/_/hello-world> to see which other
architectures are supported.

-erik

--