[kwlug-disc] m1 RISC silicon: impression

Jason Eckert jason.eckert at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:49:41 EST 2021

I have always liked Apple's hardware quality (butterfly keyboard excepted),
but do not like their OS, business practices or cult members.

I also like that their ARM CPU design is stellar in so many ways.

>From the following two quotes from Linus Torvalds, it looks like he feels
the same way in many respects:
*“I’d absolutely love to have one, if it just ran Linux.. I have fairly
fond memories of the 11″ Macbook Air (I think 4,1) that I used about a
decade ago (but moved away from because it took Apple too long to fix the
screen – and by the time they did, I’d moved on to better laptops, and
Apple had moved on to make Linux less convenient).”*

*“I’ve been waiting for an ARM laptop that can run Linux for a long time.
The new Air would be almost perfect, except for the OS. And I don’t have
the time to tinker with it, or the inclination to fight companies that
don’t want to help.”*

>From the Asahi Linux site, Apple has allowed the booting of other OSes like
Linux in their M1 platform design - it's just that they won't do any work
beyond that.
So it's up to the open source community to get Linux running on it,
doing some reverse engineering in the process.
It seems like that's mostly done, and we may see an easy install process
for Linux on M1 early 2022. And once that happens, it will likely attract
the momentum needed to keep mainstream Linux support for the M1 and later
platforms.