[kwlug-disc] Recording physical events, follow up after OBS+Kdenlive talk

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Tue Nov 2 10:05:45 EDT 2021

Followup to "physical event on the horizon" with a reminder of past
post/thoughts, through the prism of two years of recorded virtual events.

Prism of recording:

- Simple recording scene setup is a king.

- Simple post production is a king.

- Backup recording on BBB server is invaluable, when backup is needed.

Hardware:

- I volunteer a 22-nm, Intel Core i7-4702MQ processor (4 cores, 2.20GHz,
6MB cache), Intel HD Graphics 4600, 8GB, m.2 SATA SSD, ThinkPad E540,
retro laptop. Initial impression was that 44-nm Phenom retro box would
do, but there is a freeze attributed to amd graphics, whatever-ish.
Hence, the laptop.

This form factor necessitates usb connection to peripherals, yet it is
easier to carry a laptop. It also has vga and hdmi, if needed. VGA/HDMI
can't consume signal, can they?

- I have a usb webcam to statically setup and record speaker. But any
webcam will do, I guess.

- Capture of quality sound is needed. Mic, mics? I guess there is
experience with sound in KWLUG already.

- Capture of video that goes to projector is needed. Referenced below
past post mentions some ideas.

Process:

- use OBS to combine streams in a scene that is both streamed and recorded.

Questions: Stream how/where? Can a scene be shown on a second monitor
simultaneously with recording? This second screen can be shared into BBB
session, making an unconventional streaming. What about sound? I prefer
streaming to be as local and simple and as possible, under our control.

- Out of town speakers can come via BBB, we can project video and blast
sound. In this scenario BBB is a stream and recording goes like we have
been recording during these two years. But for localized talks, if
streaming setup is a pain, must we do it?

- have a cut-only post-production that generates video files.

Thought? Ideas? Have you had related video-audio experience during this
time to instruct us here?

Referenced previous post(s):