[kwlug-disc] The End of Freenode??

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue May 25 16:29:23 EDT 2021

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 08:38:31AM -0400, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> I have to admit that I don't do IRC like in the olden days anymore...  Are
> you suggesting that cheap people, like myself, who doesn't want to pay any
> money for IRC, should go to Libera.chat?

There's plenty of irc options still out there for free.  But generally,
you go to the irc server that hosts the group you want to talk to and
work with.  Debian, for example, uses the oftc network (see
https://wiki.debian.org/IRC)

Some projects run their own... I think flightgear might be one of those,
but the number of channels on irc.flightgear.org is impressive, so maybe
it is shared.

You can always host your own irc server for private stuff, too.

- Chris