[kwlug-disc] Two routers with the same WiFi SSID

Jason Eckert jason.eckert at gmail.com
Thu May 13 22:18:55 EDT 2021

That's just an ESSID (an SSID shared by several WAPs that participate in
the same wireless LAN).
Each WAP has their own BSA (basic service area, or wireless range) that
should overlap slightly with other WAPs to allow for seamless
roaming/handoff.
But nearly every corporate WAP made in the last decade does auto channel
switching to ensure that interference doesn't happen on the 2.4 and 5GHz
ranges, so you don't need to manually configure it at all.  But if your WAP
doesn't support an ESSID, I imagine that having separate channels is sage
advice if you want to use the same SSID on 2 different devices (probably no
seamless roaming though).