[kwlug-disc] Richard Stallman announcing his return to the FSF's Board of Directors

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sat Mar 27 22:33:11 EDT 2021

I guess I need to address emotion. :-)

I don't mean this to be personal, but I have to look at the logic.
I see you:

	- pointing at an email RMS wrote
	- claiming it was about Epstein (it was about Minsky)
	- almost casting doubt on whether RMS is against rape or not
	- claiming this email was the straw that broke the camel's back
		in the general sense

The camel's back did break, but there was no straw.
The straw was in the emotions of the people reacting to RMS's words.

This kind of "straw" happens a lot.  It's why "cancel culture" has its
own label.  People are not happy to let someone else have their own
beliefs, and then set out to get them fired.  They come out guns blazing
with their long list of adjectives, from misogynist to bigot, and
when you dig deeper, often you find it's not true.

You will say that I'm missing the point, and trust me, I get what you're
pointing it.  You are arguing that any scandal (or in this case, a buildup
of hurt over time) is a drag on the organization which should be cut loose
quickly.  But when it comes to words, that form of expediency bothers
me in an organization so strictly dedicated to freedom.

How long before Elon Musk is ousted from SpaceX due to something he
writes on twitter that upsets people?  It's not a perfect analogy,
but I don't want the world to go down that kind of road.

> The only way for the FSF to recover its effectiveness as an organization
> is for RMS to leave the organization.

It's not the only way.  But it appears that changes are already in motion:

   https://www.fsf.org/news/preliminary-board-statement-on-fsf-governance
   https://www.fsf.org/news/update-on-work-to-improve-governance-at-the-fsf

So, those closest to the issue will get to have their say, and it appears
that RMS and all the board members will need to go through this new process
in order to remain, if they so choose.

- Chris