[kwlug-disc] Richard Stallman announcing his return to the FSF's Board of Directors

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Wed Mar 24 20:26:25 EDT 2021

I've served as a board member with 2 non-profit organizations. At both organizations, the board members felt unqualified for the job, so in both cases we hired an outside consultant to give us board-of-director training.

As a result, I have a clear idea about the duties and responsibilities of a non-profit board of directors.

The fact that the executive members of important free software organizations like the Gnome Foundation and Mozilla are calling on the FSF board to resign is a good indication that the FSF board has screwed up badly. A well run organization, with a diligent board that knows its responsibilities and acts on them, would not have let the situation get this bad.

The issues with RMS's destructive behaviour are long standing and go back decades. The FSF board evidently sat on their hands and did not address the issues for *years* until RMS blew up the organization with his Epstein comments, at which point they fired him. This could have been handled much better. Admitting RMS back into the board indicates the board still doesn't get it.

If you want to know what specific duties the FSF board is derelict in, see:
https://www.fsf.org/about/the-role-of-the-fsfs-board-of-directors

Here's one: "maintains the legal and ethical integrity of the organization;".
Permitting RMS to sexually harass low ranking female FSF staffers is not acceptable. The man printed "please fuck me" business cards and routinely handed them out to "hot women". This is not acceptable when you are in a position of authority over the "hot woman". Nobody seems to have explained this to him.

Here's another one: "enhances and protects the FSF's public image;"
For years, RMS was a public advocate of pederasty (adults having sex with children). Nobody explained to him why it is a bad idea for the Director of the FSF, who is also the public face of the FSF, to publicly advocate for pederasty. This behaviour is documented in the rms-open-letter website, at:
   https://rms-open-letter.github.io/appendix
Somebody finally had a talk with him about this in September 2019, at the time he was fired, at which point he renounced his views and apologized. Why didn't this talk happen much earlier?

Doug Moen.