[kwlug-disc] Richard Stallman announcing his return to the FSF's Board of Directors

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Mar 24 20:10:40 EDT 2021

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 01:47:32PM -0400, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> - This is a contentious social issue.

It is contentious because the stakes are so high.  It's not just
a disagreement where people can go their separate ways.  One side
wants the other to submit.

This is a sex-politics issue trying to replace a tech-politics issue,
using heavy-handed means.  That is not right.  I'd prefer to be able to
share and work on Free Software peacefully with people who have entirely
different sex-politics than I do.  I think that would be a good thing.
Free Software principals and licenses, which RMS has been extremely
consistent in upholding, is just one piece that helps make that possible.

If only people with identical politics can work together, the world's
ability to cooperate is severely constrained.

Therefore, those that would destroy the FSF do not belong in the FSF,
nor do they get a say from outside, especially when they don't understand
what freedom means.  They should start their own movement and organization
instead of tearing others down.  (Key word is "instead"...I know many
have already started their own movements)

The cancel culture letter says:

	We urge those in a position to do so to stop supporting the Free
	Software Foundation. Refuse to contribute to projects related
	to the FSF and RMS. Do not speak at or attend FSF events, or
	events that welcome RMS and his brand of intolerance.
		from https://rms-open-letter.github.io/

Only their brand of intolerance is allowed.

That is not kind in any way.

Nuking the FSF board over this would be a grave error.

- Chris