[kwlug-disc] user and ui

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Mar 22 20:14:55 EDT 2021

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 12:04:00PM -0400, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc wrote:
> The following is an observation about UI approaches. What do you think?
> Comments and other stories are appreciated.

More differences:

	CLI
		- direct
		- physical
		- physical controls often mapped 1-to-1 or 1-to-few functions
		- memory based (even muscle-memory at times)
		- sometimes automated
		- often comes in building-block form

	GUI
		- indirect
		- virtual
		- spacial
		- requires sight and hand/eye coordination

Driving a car is a CLI interface.  You don't have to think about where
the inputs are, and you don't have to align your hand with the steering
wheel visually before you can use it.

In this sense, Virtual Reality is a CLI interface too (often paired with
a GUI inside).  If you've played Beat Sabre, there's a little menu
to choose your song, but in the game, it's all CLI.  You don't think
about how to "do" something, you just do it.

Hotkeys in a GUI menu system are CLI, but often incomplete.

Anything that forces you to think about your control system (like lining
up a cursor with a button with a mouse) is a GUI, and therefore indirect.

Mere graphical output does not make something a GUI, in my opinion.

- Chris