[kwlug-disc] user and ui

Erik Schnetter schnetter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 14:54:50 EDT 2021

The main task of a good UI is to display the otherwise hidden state of
an application. One of the places where this is important these days
is with git, the version control system. Not only is there a directory
tree (with multiple levels), there is also a (almost completely
hidden) staging area, the local repository, the remote repository, and
various branches. It's easy for both novices and experts to lose their
bearings, and the usual advice ("rm -rf; git clone") gives a clean
slate that is again easy to understand.

The good git UIs (both the explicit ones, and the ones built into
IDEs) display hidden information: which files have changes, which
files would change when you pull in remote changes, where are
conflicts, what are you about to commit, etc.

So, while I agree that "leading the user" might be part of it, I'd put
the emphasis more onto "show the user what's going on", and then
assume that the user (who then knows what's happening) can make
meaningful choices. That leaves complete novices out of the picture,
but remains useful and not-annoying for experts.

-erik

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at gmail.com>