[kwlug-disc] user and ui

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Mon Mar 22 12:04:00 EDT 2021

The following is an observation about UI approaches. What do you think?
Comments and other stories are appreciated.

CLI is good, even superb when user either knows what commands to utter,
or knows what questions to ask shell, so that it leads you toward
correct action (assuming shell is capable of answering).

GUI is the only option for those users who don't know what questions to
ask. And designer has to lead user with clues. Clues are aided by common
metaphors, common experience.

lxc and docker are examples of CLI that was better at leading me to
correct commands. Before that I wasn't touching CLI much. And in what I
do now, I look and long for lxc/docker style of leading me, the user.
Let's note that aforementioned stylistic approach in lxc/docker could've
existed before, and I also don't want to say that this is the best,
example is simply my anecdotal case of experience in cli.