[kwlug-disc] $30,000/yr to get your app on the $nap $tore

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Mar 17 00:42:38 EDT 2021

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 12:29:39PM -0400, Doug Moen wrote:

>In other news, I notice that Wayland finally reaches a "1.0" state in
>the forthcoming Fedora 34 release. There will be support for remote
>desktop, and there will be accelerated graphics using an Nvidia GPU.
>Wayland deficiencies have been a blocking issue for me in the past when
>I've considered running Fedora. Lots of other recent work in Fedora
>that interests me too. Eg, Fedora 33 is the first release that defaults
>to BTRFS on root.

Wayland shouldn't stop you from checking out Fedora, Xorg is still
there, it's just not the default (unless you're using the binary nvidia
drivers). If you pick an xorg session once when logging in, and it
remembers the preference every time you log in.

I think these recent remote changes changes are related to a headless
gui session, right? Like what RDP does on Windows, rather than
connecting to an existing session? Because vnc seems to work fine to
connect to an existing Gnome session on Wayland. I haven't mucked about
with it much, it's not something I use.

Ubuntu convinced me to switch to Fedora in 2012 due to Unity, Mir, and
quirky GTK patches that caused weird behaviour. It was a slight
adjustment getting used to yum (now dnf) and rpms, as well as the
slightly different system structure. Nothing insurmountable.

I've been using Wayland for a few years now and quite happy with it.
The only real times I've had trouble was due to bad extensions combined
with Gnome's unfortunate single main thread.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
  xmpp:   chris at chrisirwin.ca