[kwlug-disc] $30,000/yr to get your app on the $nap $tore

Rob Gilson thatotherdude at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 15:48:38 EDT 2021

The trouble with interfaces resonates with my experience - I spent no small
amount of time trying to understand the Snap security model and why my app
wouldn't run before giving up and run it in beta with gross "I accept this
dangerous package" flags.

Classic mode sounds like a great escape hatch for this but it's no small
major hurdle for solo FOSS developers who has to juggle snapcraft-ing with
everything else to get through to an approval for classic mode on the
support forums.

One thing they don't mention here is that the Snapcraft documentation is
very sparse and outright missing things. Also you can google seemingly
valid docs that are evidently legacy / no longer supported buth which give
no indication that they are out of date.

So anyways it's been a year (maybe more?) of just not dealing with that
problem and instead focusing on developing my similarly private cloud FOSS
product (teggapp.io). Imagine my surprise then when just as I am wrapping
things up for a release (*queue I rewrote it in Rust meme*) this pops in to
my email!

Great article - feeling much less alone in my snapcraft struggles after
that and I'm certainly going to take another look at apt :)

Cheer,
Rob