[kwlug-disc] $30,000/yr to get your app on the $nap $tore

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Tue Mar 16 12:29:39 EDT 2021

I didn't realize that Ubuntu has erected a paywall around their walled garden Snap Store.
You can't get your app on the Snap Store without Ubuntu's permission, you can't run your own Snap Store or provide snap autoupdates without Ubuntu's permission because the server side is proprietary (unlike Flatpak), and if your app is related to a commercial business, Ubuntu wants a cut.
https://www.nitrokey.com/news/2021/nextbox-why-we-decided-and-against-ubuntu-core

This is exactly the sort of nonsense I'm trying to get away from, motivating my migration from MacOS to Linux. The bottom line is that I am no longer comfortable being part of the Ubuntu community. If I perceive a distro to be malware then I don't want to run it, and I don't want to spend time after each upgrade disabling malware.

In other news, I notice that Wayland finally reaches a "1.0" state in the forthcoming Fedora 34 release. There will be support for remote desktop, and there will be accelerated graphics using an Nvidia GPU. Wayland deficiencies have been a blocking issue for me in the past when I've considered running Fedora. Lots of other recent work in Fedora that interests me too. Eg, Fedora 33 is the first release that defaults to BTRFS on root.
https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2021/03/15/what-to-look-for-fedora-workstation-34/