[kwlug-disc] Installing onto an SSD

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 12 14:11:45 EST 2021

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 09:23:12PM -0500, Remi Gauvin wrote:
> On 2021-03-10 6:00 p.m., Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> > I will be installing Debian onto a SATA SSD (a Samsung EVO 870). Is
> > there anything in particular I should be doing differently than if I
> > was installing to a spinning-rust drive? Do I have to worry about
> > sector alignment or trim or something, or does the install handle
> > everything for me?
> >
> > - Paul
> >

> Short version: The install should handle it for you.
>
> Somewhat longer version:
>
> You'll want to periodically run fstrim command on the ssd.  Debian
> probably had a cronjob in the /etc/cron.daily to run fstrim -a

So on Debian 10 the install did not do everything. There is a
fstrim.timer job set up for systemd, but I needed

systemctl enable fstrim.timer

in order to activate it.

I also made the change to my /etc/default/grub to disable
queued trim. Thanks for the suggestions. I was feeling dumb for asking
(I am the last human being on Earth who had not moved into the 21st
century with an SSD) but I am glad I asked.

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Blog: http://pnijjar.freeshell.org