[kwlug-disc] Which NAS harddisk? -- Seagate or Western Digital

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 18:46:19 EST 2021

Live by the ABS rule -- A)nything B)ut S)eagate. WD's failure rate is much
better than Seagates. HGST fails the least.
These days, WD owns the HGST HDD lines, renamed as WD Red Pro.

I run an 8-drive QNAP NAS box with 8 pcs of 4TB HGST drives, slow ones,
5200-ish RPM, SAF, but low-power. I never let them spin down and have not
had a failure since they have been in use since 2013.

Today's 4TB 7200RPM WD RED PRO stuff:
https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-ca/products/internal-drives/wd-red-pro-sata-hdd#WD4003FFBX

We have tons of these 4TB, 8TB and 10TB in service, never had one go bad in
Raid5/Raid6/Raid50 in QNAP and Synology NAS boxes.

Thanks,

Ron S.