[kwlug-disc] laptops with Linux preinstalled

Tue Mar 2 22:25:59 EST 2021

Good evening, Ron,

> On Mar 2, 2021, at 9:37 PM, Ron Singh <ronsingh149 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Back on the other topic of USB-C charging, I got a note from my tech guy yesterday about this:
> https://voltacharger.com/products/magnetic-adapter-2-0 <https://voltacharger.com/products/magnetic-adapter-2-0>
> He heard me whining about the USB-C issue and found this and since it looks real nice, I have 10 kits coming to me whenever DHL gets it to me from Australia. If they are are as good as Reddit folks claim, well, this becomes a standard item included with any USB-C-charged item we do as long as the PD requirements are 65W or less.

Be careful with those magnetic tips. I’ve got a zillion of them that I’ve used over the last 5 or 6 years for lower power devices (micro USB, USB-C and Lighting), but went with a different USB-C magnetic tip for the laptop because the ones I’d standardized on for everything else wouldn’t support high voltage charging:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0831KYRD2 <https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0831KYRD2>

They’re (supposedly) rated for 100W, and I’ve certainly not had problems charging my laptop at full rate (85W) with them. The right-angle design also seems to work better for power cables. These magnetic adapters only support 480Mbps but I’ve got a different (much wider) magnetic adapter that’ll do 100W and 10Gbps USB-C/Thunderbolt/whatever speeds.

I also ran across this, which I think is an awesome idea:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07GJGTH9K <https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07GJGTH9K>

It basically lets you use older thinkpad chargers with USB-C devices. I’ve got a magsafe2-to-usb-c one as well since I’ve got a lot of the MagSafe power supplies still.

-A.