[kwlug-disc] Backup a USB Flash Drive to DVD.

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 14 11:53:32 EDT 2021

To just copy files and directories, you can use any "burner".  I use
"k3b" on my KDE desktop.  I used to use command line "growisofs", but I
don't burn CD/DVD much, so GUI frontend is easier.

Now, to make it bootable, that's different.

 1. Since your USB stick is already bootable, you can make duplicate USB
    stick and copy the image to file on your computer as backup.  That
    way, you can make another USB stick if needed. "dd" is what you use.
 2. If your USB stick is already "isohybrid" format, then just burn it
    to CD/DVD as image.  Depending on your burner program, you may read
    directly from USB stick, or make image of USB stick first and use that.
 3. If your USB stick is just harddisk format, then you may be able to
    convert and burn at the same time.  Depending on your burner.

I recommend option #1.  It came as USB stick, so stick with that.

--William