[kwlug-disc] Changes to Audacity privacy notice

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 18:39:55 EDT 2021

The "concerning part" in question very much reads like standard catch-all
disclaimer, which would initially mean it is just there to save their butts
in case of the outlying case.

However, this got me thinking about what kind of information a government
entity would possibly ask Audacity to collect for them?  And that really
gets terrifying quickly.  Could the government demand that audacity record
an "audio fingerprint" of any Audacity project a user creates that could
help identify the creator of a piece of media considered unfavourable to
the government?  And whose government?  Add to that the possibility of
courts subpoenaing this info for copyright related lawsuits and this
spirals downward very quickly.

I never used to be the kind of person who worried about this kind of
thing.  Then the government of my country started to terrify me with their
actions.  And I don't even live in one of the scary countries

Brent