[kwlug-disc] Pinephone Update 2--apt update Strikes Back

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 18:58:01 EST 2021

The phone powered up as expected.  The first difficulty I had was
maintaining a stable WiFi connection to the WiFi distribution thingy in our
house (no idea what it is but I assume a WiFi repeater).  It worked fine
using the WiFi hotspot from my main phone.

Next thing I did (which is likely my first mistake) was I ran apt upgrade.
At some point during the process the screen of course shut off.  When I
went back to check on it the phone would no longer accept the pin code I
had previously set (which did work fine before the update).  I rebooted the
phone, and now it produces an "Oh no!  Something has gone wrong.  A problem
has occurred and the system can't recover.  Please log out and try again"
with only a logout button.  Not exactly the most helpful of error messages.

So I am currently writing the UBports Touch distro to an SD card.

Brent