[kwlug-disc] Non-tech reference, but may be useful by tech co.

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Thu Feb 25 18:10:46 EST 2021

> With logic like this, we won't have honest discussion on anything, and
> we can kiss our culture goodbye.
>
> I find the term "extremist" completely unhelpful.  It tells you nothing
> but that they are a potential enemy (or depending on your position,
> a potential ally).  Therefore, the article is doing exactly what it
> is preaching against.

But this term is being thrown left and right, hence we need a way to
call bs, when it is used in a counterproductive way. Let's imagine that
after non-results or no new phenomena at LHC you think that
super-symmetry and super-strings should be left alone, may be dropping
concept of fundamental spacetime. It is an extreme idea, cause it
deviates from common practice. It may turn out to be a good idea. But
you may be labeled an extremist. How do you push back this ad hominem?
Being nuanced about the term.

This reference (
https://patternresearch.com/laird-wilcox-on-extremist-traits-the-hoaxer-project-report-pp-39-41-3/
) is definitely not a complete work, which I think is useful, cause it
shows that extreme views/ideas are something that we can talk about,
while extreme forms of expression is what makes lives unbearable.

>   Quoting:
>
> 	2. NAME-CALLING AND LABELING.
>
> 	Extremists are quick to resort to epithets....
>
> In some ways that article reads like a list of argument fallacies. :-)

Cause it really is. Fallacies are used to pump us and to blind us. I've
just heard about ideas vs expression extremas from Belarusian podcast.
People there, just like people under Franco, just like people under
Mussolini, people on the ground are pushed into extremes that later on
are called common fascism.

I've heard the following phrase: "Propaganda is a calculated attack on a
complexity of human mind."

All those fallacies come from how brain/mind work.

> I took that class in college, and it was useful.  Studying logic and
> logical fallacies is likely more useful than framing things
> in terms of characteristics of "extremists".

Five years after I left the university, I went through two, I discovered
"logical fallacies". Ever since, I ask why isn't it a required course
that is taught in the first year.

I can read English translation of On Sophistical Refutations
http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/sophist_refut.1.1.html but I can't
parse Russian translation. I do have a conspiratorial bias on this 😠 .