[kwlug-disc] Naming of apps, RE: Riot -> Element

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Tue Feb 2 17:26:59 EST 2021

Yesterday Paul enlightened me, at least, that Riot was renamed to
Element. Why? Let's guess :) .

One of log entries reads "Gitter is joining Element". It could've been
"Gitter is joining Riot". Ouch, not investor friendly.

On another hand, may be this app censoring
https://element.io/blog/element-on-google-play-store/ wouldn't happen.
Cause the headlines would be something like "Google destroyed Riot".
Instead, "Element has been removed, press any key" :) .

The whole event clearly shows that profanity should keep its name.
"Someone didn't like something in profanity. ... And?"

On a topic of metadata and censoring, I recently had this expression: "I
am not paranoid. I am from Belarus."