[kwlug-disc] Just look up

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Thu Dec 30 13:45:41 EST 2021

May be you've heard about this new movie. I highly recommend it.

I personally had a blast. When was the last time, that within mere 40
minutes someone tells you that "you talk like this" and you see that a
particular conversation pattern, you've been in, is offensive not only
to your senses.

Let's note that this is definitely not a nerds vs normies expose, as the
most damaging thing is a nerd full of hubris, i.e. without peer review.
Somehow, the famous question from Dawkins' lecture, "what if you're
wrong?", is just an entertainment in normie's discussion about god,
while "what if you're wrong, building that nuclear plant near Lithuanian
boarder?" is important indeed.

I find Joscha's quote in https://youtu.be/P-2P3MSZrBM?t=228 eyeopening,
to say the least: "Sometimes I define a nerd as somebody who thinks that
the purpose of communication is to submit your ideas to peer review. And
normal people understand that the primary purpose of communication is to
negotiate alignment. And these purposes tend to conflict." Followed
somewhere by voluminous and funny "... when you try to make him or her a
gift of information."

I love you guys. I miss seeing you all in physical format. Happy New Year.