[kwlug-disc] Sharing ZFS joy

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Tue Dec 28 23:39:25 EST 2021

Just wonna share experience with ZFS. New situation for me, but may be a
common pattern.

Context.

It is home files on ZFS folder. I have done a couple of `zfs snapshot
...`s. Today I was moving and removing files, annual cleanup, and I have
`rm -rf`-ed wrong files.

Revival of files.

1) `zfs clone -o mountpoint=<mount_of_that> <snapshot> <view-fs>` Clones
and mounts snapshot-ed data, making it accessible. This operation is
fast as is it doesn't any byte move/unzip-ing.

2) Do corrective operations.

3) Unmount and destroy <view-fs>.

Done.

This is very clean and straightforward process, and is very pleasant.