[kwlug-disc] HDMI over USB 3.0 story (may be useful to you)

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Thu Dec 16 13:55:24 EST 2021

I got used to three monitors: two vertical for code, and the third one
(just 19 inches) is for communication. All this was powered by nvidia
card on Phenom box.

AMD Phenom and nvidia is a funky retro mix that has flashes in video
recording (KWLUG recording was affected), and even ssse3 is missing
(used by QEMU) for device simulator. This forced me to go to retro
laptop, Lenovo ThinkPad E540.

ThinkPad E540 has vga, hdmi, two usb 3.0. Two big screens for crisp text
need digital signal, vga doesn't cut it. So, vga is for smaller 19 inch
monitor, and hdmi is for one code screen.

Eurika moment came with actual reading about usb 3.0 -- it can be used
for video.

Attempt 1 was using usb-A to usb-C adapter and trying hdmi thing that
works with PinePhone (DisplayPort over usb something). But system didn't
recognize it.

Search lead me to usb 3.0 to hdmi with DisplayLink chip in it. I am
fuzzy on exact details, but it seems that newer systems may work with
simpler usb-to-video parts, while my older system needs that chip.

Driver for mint (ubuntu genes) from
https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads/ubuntu
just worked with the adapter that has arrived an hour ago. Blind buying
of other adapter would be a money waste. With DisplayLink I paid 60CAD
vs 30CAD that flows around.