[kwlug-disc] Linus Tech Tips tries Linux as daily driver

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Mon Dec 6 05:25:19 EST 2021

Thought I'd throw this out before Monday's meeting. Might make for some
interesting discussion, plus the channel is a home-grown success story
and worthy of being aware of.

Linus of Linus Tech Tips YouTube fame (very successful Canadian
YouTuber) has a series where he and a co-founder(?) of the channel are
attempting to use Linux for their daily work & play machines.

It's interesting, entertaining, and sometimes frustrating.

Note: the business runs a lot of Linux servers (96TB storage on NVMe
running CentOS for his *home* storage - the videos of his new home reno
are great).

The Linus Linux Challenge:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0506yDSgU7M

Other interesting videos I'd recommend: his new, hot pink home server
rack ("Wow. I guess I need neon lime green patch cables.") containing 96
ethernet ports, half of them PoE, all running 10+Gbps.

Any video of them building new office servers.

They spent $100,000 on materials to make a solid gold game controller
(his wife's reaction is priceless).

His reaction to the $250,000 spent on Red 8k video equipment and how
disappointed he felt.

His "influencer flex" where he felt his youngest kids weren't able to
sufficiently partake in badminton, so he bought a gym... In the
Vancouver real estate market.

Hopefully someone finds something entertaining / informative.

rb