[kwlug-disc] Comparison of Docker Swarm and Kubernetes: kompose

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 19:30:49 EDT 2021

Saw this tidbit in the news (Slashdot):

Docker will restrict use of the free version of its Docker Desktop utility
to individuals or small businesses, and has introduced a new more expensive
subscription, as it searches for a sustainable business model. The Register
reports: The company has renamed its Free plan to "Personal" and now
requires that businesses with 250 or more employees, or higher than $10m in
annual revenue, must use a paid subscription if they require Docker
Desktop. There are no changes to the command-line Docker Engine. The
$5/month Pro and $7/month Teams subscriptions continue as before, but a new
$21/month Business subscription adds features including centralized
management, single sign-on, and enhanced security. The Docker platform has
a number of components, of which Docker Desktop is just one part. Docker
images define the contents of containers. Docker containers are runnable
instances of images. The Docker daemon is a background application that
manages and runs Docker images and containers. The Docker client is a
command-line utility that calls the API of the Docker daemon. Docker
registries contain images, and the Docker Hub is a widely used public
registry. Much of Docker (but not Desktop) is open source under the Apache
v2 license. Docker Desktop is a GUI tool for managing various Docker
components and functions, including containers, images, volumes (storage
attached to containers), local Kubernetes, development environments within
containers, and more. Whereas most Docker components are available for
Windows, Mac and Linux, and despite the fact that most Docker containers
run on Linux, Desktop is only available for Windows and Mac. Docker CEO
Scott Johnston says the changes will help the company address security
challenges with the software supply chain. It'll also help create a viable
business model. "We continue to see growth in the developer market. The
latest stat we have is that by 2030 there's going to be 45 million global
developers, up from 18-some million today... that requires us to have a
business that is sustainably scalable," Johnston told The Register.