[kwlug-disc] Noticing weirdness with kubernetes.io/docs navigation

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Sat Aug 28 18:17:06 EDT 2021

I just had a huge relief in noticing weirdness/quirk in
kubernetes.io/docs that breaks expected behaviour of content outline tree.

When you look at any other normal docs, e.g. Docker, SaltStack, on the
side you have this tree form of content that expands and shows you where
you are. And since docs are packaged with some logic, related to
structure of the subject, such outline helps, and apparently
subconscious mind gets used to this "map" of concepts in territory you
explore at the moment.

So, in kubernetes.io/docs, when you go in depth, deep enough, 4th, or
even just 3rd layer deep may remove from the content tree siblings of a
parent. To this moment this has always been creating a feeling of
confusion to me. Now I understand that this hiding has been messing up
with my territory tracking, creating a feeling of being lost, being
dumb, and I really don't appreciate such feelings. I really thought that
I have constantly been thrown into a different part of the site, from
which I won't find a way back.

If you feel lost in k8s docs, it might be this. When you notice it
rationally, scare stops.