[kwlug-disc] VPN Traffic

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Mon Aug 16 10:32:41 EDT 2021

> In the "answering questions for complete strangers.."
> thread, CrankyOldBugger said:  "I see the problem.. I can't get in
> whilst my VPN is active.  If I go on the internet without my VPN, I
> can get in."
>
> I didn't want to hijack that thread, but I've noticed exactly the same
> issue with an increasing number of sites.  RBC is one of them.  They
> refuse to connect to any page other than their home page if you use a
> VPN.   I phoned them - got to third(!) level technical support and
> they told me that they now block all VPN traffic.  The very technical
> person at RBC said they do this because all scammers and fraud only
> use VPNs.  I explained to them that I use a VPN for increased security
> and privacy.  She said she completely understands and she uses VPNs as
> well, but this was a high level security policy and she didn't see
> this being changed at all.  I understand their position as well.
>  Moving money around while hiding your true IP address may indicate
> something is not quite right.
>
> So, how do websites know that you are using a VPN?   I currently use
> the free ProtonVPN product.  I was thinking of paying for their
> upgraded service but if I can;'t access sites that I use everyday,
> there doesn't seem to be much sense in doing that...
>
> Anyone using a VPN service without issues?

Observations about banks.

- I've deployed a VPN with exit in Canada for me to do banking when
traveling. Note, I've set my own machine and VPN, i.e. not known public
VPN vendor. I used it on a trip two years ago.

- I have some stricter cleanup of browser data. TD used to harass me
with second factor every time I log in. But not during the last several
months. Same goes for Simplii, CIBC's bank, it started to demand calls
on every login, but not in past months.

It feels like something is going on with banks.